Monday, January 14, 2019

Is God a gentleman ?

I want to get into something that might be a little challenging. I write this in the interest of being completely honest on this blog.

Please don't think this post reflects entirely who I am and what I believe. It's a difficult issue and I want to talk about.

The question is--is God a gentleman. I hear preachers often express that sentiment about God. Depending on how people define gentleman I'm not sure I agree. No, that's wussing out. I don't agree--depending on the definition of gentleman.

God the Son was certainly not a gentleman when he knocked Saul--later the Apostle Paul--off his horse while he was on the road to Damascus.

He wasn't a gentleman when God the Son confronted the pharisees during his earthly ministry. I wouldn't say he was particularly a gentleman when He called His disciples to follow Him. He told them to follow and they followed.

God wasn't a gentleman when he met the people of Israel at Mount Zion. They saw the fire, they heard the sound of the trumpet and they were afraid.

The God who describes Himself as a consuming fire isn't particularly a gentleman.

Here's the thing. And I am going to open a vein and bleed a bit here. I'm not sure I would say God has been particularly a gentleman with me over the past year. If that thought makes you concerned for me, or bothers you, please read on.

God is absolutely trustworthy. And I trust Him.

He is love in a person. And I have seen His beauty and felt His love. Although I fall short I desire to respond to Him in love and with love.  I have complete confidence his actions in my life are motivated by love--even when I do not understand.

God is a god of grace--pouring out His grace on a broken and needy world. And I need His grace. And I call out for His grace--every single day.

God is a consuming fire. And I know His people will emerge on the other side of the fire with more life than they had entering in.

God is trustworthy. He is absolutely, unconditionally, worthy of my trust. And I trust, even when my world has turned upside down.

I am accountable to God. He is not accountable to me. And I desire live for Him and submit to Him.

But is God a gentleman? Sorry if this thought offends you but I'm sure about that sentiment. I'm sure about God--not sure about that.

Pressing on in my fight for joy.

1 comment:

  1. I've not ever considered or heard that God is a gentleman, but I have often heard that the Holy Spirit is, and He is! But with all the examples you have given here, God Himself is not a gentleman.

    ReplyDelete