Thursday, January 24, 2019

Body and spirit

Body and spirit are woven together. Emotional health physical are connected.

I've been reminded of this truth, in a very strong way, twice now. I had a severe back spasm starting on July 17. That was significant because it was six months to day after Faye died.

I had another, less severe, back spasm start Jan, 17, this year--exactly a year to the day Faye died.

So, yep, I believe emotional and spiritual health are connected.

That's why I believe taking care of my body is profoundly important to restoring emotional health. Doing what I need to do to be healthy is actually I concrete thing I can do to get healthier emotionally.

I'm embarrassed by the amount of weight I've gained since I lost Faye. Now she was my diet monitor. And the weight gain has been caused in part by the fact I don't have Faye keeping after me to eat right. But I do now how to eat right. It's been a matter of caring enough to do it. Frankly over the last year I haven't cared a lot about my health.

And that causes a downward spiral. My emotions leave my indifferent to eating properly. Eating badly weakens me emotionally, which makes me without the discipline I need to eat properly.

That can change. In fact, it must change. And it has changed. I need to take control again--inch by inch, day by day.

And I do have support in this process, for which I am very grateful. And I do have people who can hold me accountable, for which I am grateful myself.

Body first, and then the spirit. I believe that. And I press on.

No comments:

Post a Comment