Monday, March 4, 2019

Her sheepdog

I often used to refer to myself as Faye's sheepdog. That was not a reference to my appearance.

It was my shorthand for being her guardian, that doesn't capture it, but it will have to do until I come up with a better way of putting.

The thing is Faye was an innocent--that is not, in the slightest, a reflection on her intelligence. Faye was a pure heart. She really, truly, was.

She did not a grain of deceit in her character or a cynical or untrusting bone. Everybody who knew, and loved Faye teased her because of those qualities.

I was her sheep dog. I took responsibility for protecting her when someone may have been trying to take advantage of her trusting nature. I also helped her sort her priorities when she got overwhelmed with stress and busy-ness. And I would remind her of how beautiful she was.

All of this was a delight.

I was her sheepdog until the time when I couldn't protect her.

No comments:

Post a Comment