Monday, February 18, 2019

On that old mountain top

I feel like I'm out of sync with the world around me.

When everybody else is going ba-da-bum-ba-da-bum-ba-ba,  I'm going da-bum-ba-bum-da-ba.

When everybody is craving sugar and chocolate. I'm craving fat and salt.

When everybody is listening to Christian pop, I'm listening to the blues.

I trust you get the point. The Bible speaks of being in the world, but not of the world. It's kind of like that, but not like that at all. It's just that my perspective on life has change. The way I respond to things has changed. The dance of grace is different for me now.

Case in point:

The preacher yesterday made reference to mountain top experiences. I get the reference, I really do. It's about peak experiences in the Holy Spirit, likely referring to the transfiguration of Jesus.

I understand the reference but...I. Just. Don't. See. The. Mountaintop. Like. That. Not at all. I'm out of sync with a standard reference.

I feel I've spent most of the last 13 months on a mountain top.

But it hasn't been the mountain top of yesterday's sermon. It has been a different mountain top. It's been the mountain top above--or the one to the left.

I'm talking about a mountain with nothing but ice and rock--nothing eat, no air to breathe.

It's a place where've I've spent a lot of time since losing Faye.

It's a place where I would surely slip and fall but for the tender grace of the Living God sustaining me. It's a place where the reality of my faith in God has been tested. It's a place where I have found Him more real than I have ever found Him before. At the worst time in my life I've experienced His goodness.

I've been tested. Yes I've been tested. It's not anything like that mountain top of sermons.

But people who survived mountain top accidents have often spoken of getting a glimpse of heaven from a seat in hell. I can attest to the truth of that.

God is good. And inch by inch, day by day I will make this mountain mine.

Soli Deo Gloria.

I realize this is very similar to my previous post but, oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment