Thursday, September 6, 2018

The body

I often find myself on the outside looking in at myself in this process of grief recovery. One thing that particularly interests me, and yes I do find myself interested by this, is the connection between the body and emotional recovery.

On July 17, six months to the day I found my Faye gone, I went into a massive back spasm that had me in severe pain for several weeks.

Tuesday, on the day of my first birthday celebrated without Faye in 25 years, I had another back spasm (not nearly as bad but still a spasm nonetheless).

My chiropractor has told me that men feel stress in their hips and lower back, which is where I felt my pain, while women tend to feel stress in their shoulders. I have no idea if that is true but it certainly seems to be true for me.

And it makes me think that as good as I'm starting to feel I have still have grief working its way on my body.

That makes sense to me. I firmly believe emotional healing is strongly connected to physical well being and physical well being is strongly connected to emotional well being.

So I am committed to caring for my body. As I pray, and seek God, and trust Him I also care for the body He has given to me.

God created the physical universe and called it good. Our bodies matter to God and how we treat them matters to Him.

Eating right and exercise and getting proper rest are vital.

I will press on.

No comments:

Post a Comment