Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Come Thou Fount

Oh to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let Thy goodness like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart Lord, take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above


The incredible volatility of grief recovery reminds me of these lines from the great hymn Come Thou Fount by Robert Robinson.

My life over the last eight months has made me very aware of my desperate need for God's grace, not only for salvation, but for perseverance. My heart truly is prone to wandering. One day my emotions are strong and healthy, the next day weak and despondent.

I can't make it on the basis of my willpower alone. I can't I'm not strong enough, or good enough, or wise enough. I need the power, love and grace of God every day.

So I ask Him to bind my wandering heart to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment