Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Each situation is unique

Every grieving experience is unique. It might be a slight exaggeration to say each experience is as unique as a snowflake but not very.

Every relationship broken by death is different--the loss of a parent has a different impact from the loss of a spouse--just as heartbreaking but different. The loss of a spouse is different than the loss of a child, which is different than the loss of a sibling, which is different from the loss of a friend.

Each one of the losses is devastating; each one is unique.

Further every person suffering through grief is different. For example I've gained weight since Faye died--for a variety of reasons. If it had been reversed I have absolutely no doubt Faye, as slender as she was, would have lost weight.

I've struggled regaining focus, ambition and my work ethic. Faye would have hidden herself in non-stop. Again, I have no doubt about that.

Some people can't stop weeping. I haven't shed a huge number of tears in the last 8 1/2 months. I express grief through words--my pain and loss are no less than that of people who respond tears. It's different.

The faith or lack of faith of an individual impacts grief. Financial circumstances impact it. The way a particular person grieves is also affected the way a couple shared household roles.

The point is that people cannot be judged for the way they respond as individuals. There are far too many factors at play.

Love, support and be available to the grieving people in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment