Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Thinking and grief

I mentioned a couple of days ago that I've been reading Timothy Keller's Walking With God Through Pain and Suffering.

I've finished the book and I'm thinking through some of the things Keller talks about.

One thing he talks about that makes much sense to me is the stress he places on Christians turning to The Bible, not for emotional comfort, but for solid biblical truth.

In other words, if I understand him correctly, he says we get the emotional strength to survive pain and sorrow, not from emotional comfort but from the solid truths of the Word of God.

In wrestling with the Word we come to greater understanding of God's character, his combination of sovereignty and tenderness and His love.

It's in truly understanding those things that they become part of the fabric of our lives and enable us to keep walking through the inevitable storms of life.

God is good; God is sovereign. Or to put it another way life is hard; God is good.

Pressing on in Him.

Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment